Book Review! Scarlet Letter and Enemy Brothers.

helavik:    (via Little Women - Jo March by Erin McGuire: FICTION — LightGreyArtLabShop)  Part of the FICTION section of the Girls: Fact Fiction exhibition, featuring 100 illustrators and designers who have portrayed their favorite women, heroines, and inspirations.  
Hello Everyone! I finally have my first book review post! I have recently finished two books: The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorn and Enemy Brothers by Constance Savery.


The Scarlet Letter (a story about two adulterers in the Puritan community who must wear an "A" on their breast to shame them for committing adultery)  I will give a 3 out of 5 for a couple reasons. While it is not the walk in the meadow type of story, it conveys a few things. One, it gives a better appreciation for my faith because I know that God forgives and that I can move on. If I repent, then He will forgive me. Hester's Puritan community does not allow Hester forgiveness, and so, after her sin, she could never ever... ever.... be worth anything or achieve anything because her sin was so great that she could not be forgiven, thus she is the center of ridicule and shame. Also, in the end, when Hester repents, she becomes a refuge for other women in similar instances. She is Puritan but she has that element of a Catholic Lady in the end when she becomes a counselor for other women showing them that there is hope for them and forgiveness because if you repent, God will forgive. She shows them that they are not alone. This is an element of a true lady who sympathizes with others and becomes a spiritual mother. She sets an example and others will learn to follow in her path of love which is a reflection of God's love. We cannot condone the sin, but we can forgive the sinner. I think that the end of the story shows that beautifully. The second reason that I give a good rating to the book is that amazing writing technique of Nathaniel Hawthorn. He writes very differently than most authors and it amazes me how he can go on for two pages and say absolutely nothing! Not really but he has an expressive vocabulary and a way of saying things without actually saying them. 


Enemy Brothers (a story about an English family during WWII who finds their brother who was kidnapped and grew up in Nazi Germany and their journey to helping him accept his family and ancestry.) I will give it a 4.5 out of 5. First, I love all things WWII... the stories, the history, and the fashion. Also, this is a charming story about family love and patience. It shows brotherly love and creates a problem... Making you wish that the characters were real people!!!! I find it charming that even though this is a novel, it very well could have been a true story. I highly recommend reading this one! It is a very quick read!

I hope to be blogging more often in the future! Have a blessed week and happy reading!
-Rosalina

Comments

  1. I've read "Enemy Brothers" before, but it's been awhile. I think I need to pull it out again.

    I've never been interested interested in "The Scarlet Letter" I'm glad to hear how it turns out though. I was always wondering what possible values that book could have.

    Thank you for the reviews. I look forward to hearing more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts